Tuesday, April 11, 2006

About Bicycle Repair and technology

You know, bicycle technology sure has changed since I last went looking for a new bicycle!
Keep in mind the last time I bought a bicycle was when 10-speed racers were "state-of-the-art". Now they have "mountain" bikes, "racing" bikes, "touring" bikes, "recumbent" bikes that are sometimes called "bent" bikes. (Now don't say you didn't learn something here!) heck, they even have "hybrid" bicycles that are a cross between a mountain bike and a touring bike.

Now lets talk about gears, I always thought 10-speeds were enough, but you simply can't find a bike anywhere with anything less then 15 gears (that's on a "youth" bike!) adult bikes start at no less then eighteen gears and 27 or 30 gears are not uncommon! Bikes today have front AND rear suspension, some have a mid-frame suspension too, they have "smart" shifters, "gel" seats to soothe that painful ride!
They even have front and rear disc brakes, both cable and hydraulic systems! Why the heck do you need hydraulic brakes on a bicycle?
Anyway, it looks like I'm starting from "scratch" when it comes to searching for a new bicycle because I'm so technologically behind the times here that I just don't know what I'm going to get!

9 Comments:

Blogger ex-nuke bubblehead said...

Yeah, well, Wes has earned a "Special Prize" that I will send him when I get home!

Here I honor him by posting photos of his long-lost-loves and all I hear from him is how he wants to have me banned for my kindness.

....go figure!

That Florida sun must be fryin' his brain!

April 11, 2006 12:05 PM  
Blogger ex-nuke bubblehead said...

Poor Wes, I kinda' feel bad what I did....I sent him a picture from the inside looking out....

Can you forgive me Wes?

(At least it didn't stink!)

April 12, 2006 8:35 AM  
Blogger ex-nuke bubblehead said...

Wes, I thought you might be interested in "Space Exploration" and thought that if you gazed long enough at that picture that you might be able to spot the rings around Uranus!

You know what gave me that idea? I spoke to one of your old teachers about what subjects interested you and she could only shake her head sadly and say;

"Yes, I remember Wes, he took up space in my classroom, that's all I have to say."

So I figured that you REALLY wanted to be an astronaut when you were younger.

April 12, 2006 9:32 AM  
Blogger bostonray said...

Is that guy trying to be "modest?" or just scratching his butt? If its the last,he should trim his nails so he doesn't rip his shorts all to hell!

April 12, 2006 6:59 PM  
Blogger ex-nuke bubblehead said...

Wes, if you're trying to imply that we are all a form of skin fungus in calling us dermathaphytes; then you have misspelled it! I assume you mean: "dermatophytes" otherwise there "...ain't no such word!"

April 14, 2006 7:38 AM  
Blogger ex-nuke bubblehead said...

Sounds like you live in a perpetual "State of confusion"

April 14, 2006 9:38 AM  
Blogger ex-nuke bubblehead said...

I think they have not place in sports where records are kept. If the WWF or some other comic "entertainment sport" wants to use them, then go ahead, but not in any of the more serious sports.

April 14, 2006 8:20 PM  
Blogger ex-nuke bubblehead said...

I think if the babe had the advantage of modern training and equipment he could have been even better. (without steriods)

April 16, 2006 8:26 AM  
Blogger ex-nuke bubblehead said...

It's ALL about money now, the game just isn't played for the sportsmanship as in the past. The game is is NOT better for that either!

April 16, 2006 12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home